Disability Inclusion Action Plan (DIAP)
The NSW Disability Inclusion Act 2014 (DIA) legislates that Local Government is to undertake disability inclusion action planning and develop and implement a plan of action to ensure the plans come into effect. Council's DIAP aims to make Lane Cove a better place for people living with disability to live, work and visit by developing
- positive community attitudes and behaviours
- creating liveable communities
- supporting access to meaningful employment
- improving access to services through better systems and processes
Lane Cove worked with Ryde and Hunter's Hill councils to develop a regional plan with localised actions. The community consultation took place between 25 March and 5 May 2017. The actions were developed from the responses of 749 people who participated though either small group consultations, surveys, community forums and one on one discussion.
The Disability Inclusion Action Plan was adopted by Council on 23 October 2017. The Plan can also be viewed as a Flip Book or as a PDF
The Disability Council is the official advisory body to the NSW Government and its role is to
- advise public authorities about the content and implementation of disability inclusion action plans
- advise the Minister about the content and implementation of the State Disability Inclusion Plan and disability inclusion action plans.
Access and Inclusion Committee
The Access and Inclusion Advisory Committee meets quarterly. Its objective is to assist Council to increase and promote general awareness of access and inclusion for all people in the community.
The Committee has the following functions
- To oversee the implementation of the Disability Inclusion Action Plan.
- To identify ways and opportunities to educate our community and raise awareness on access and inclusion issues
- To encourage and promote a "whole of Council" approach to access and inclusion planning