International Women's Day is celebrated on 8 March each year to celebrate women’s achievements throughout history and across nations. It is also known as the United Nations (UN) Day for Women’s Rights and International Peace.
Each year Council organises an event to acknowledge and support the important contributions women make to our lives.
International Women's Day 2019
International Women's Day showcases the experiences, stories and lessons learnt by women who can inspire us all.
Join Council and hear from inspiring guest speakers (detailed below) who have achieved successes in their chosen fields. Gain an insight into their personal journeys through life, and the events and the people that have shaped their successes. The speakers will each give a talk, which will be followed by a facilitated Q&A panel.
- Patricia Amphlett – ‘Little Pattie’ was a 14 year old Sydney schoolgirl when she topped the music charts in 1963. Still performing, she has been inducted into the Aria Hall of Fame & been awarded an OAM medal.
- Alice Cheok – Alice is a counsellor working with Ku-ring-gai Youth Development Service, holds tertiary qualifications in both science and
counselling, is an accomplished speaker and workshop presenter.
- Dr Carla Harris – Carla has a PhD in environmental science, worked in gender equality and recently launched her own tech startup and was
awarded funding by Blue Chilli which provides venture capital to women.
- Kasia Jacquot – A Lane Cove local, Polish born folk artist, teacher and designer of patterns. Working predominantly in natural textiles utilising
traditional embroidery and silk screen printing.
- Alexandra Long – Alexandra is the Executive Officer of the Multicultural Youth Affairs Network (MYAN) NSW. Her experience spans the youth,
settlement and education sectors in Australia and overseas
Where: Terrace Function Room, 1 Pottery Lane, Lane Cove
When: Thursday 14 March, 6:00pm - 8:30pm
Cost: $5 (includes finger food and refreshments)
Bookings essential via www.lanecoveinternationalwomensday.eventbrite.com or phone 9911 3591.
Proudly brought to you by Lane Cove Council in conjunction with WAIG (Women’s Action and Information Group).