If not a white Christmas - make it 'Green'.
There are many things you can do to be a 'Sustainable Santa', so Council has put together a list of tips for this festive season:
- Create decorations by reusing materials from previous years or visit Reverse Garbage
- Do Kris Kringle with your loved ones to minimise consumerism
- Provide reusable napkins or napkins made from recycled paper
- Avoid plastic plates, if you don't have enough – hire crockery or ask your guests to bring some along
Picnics and outside adventures
- Bring your own reusable picnic set
- Take your waste with you and sort into the recycling bins at home
- Car pool or use public transport to get there
- Make Christmas cards from recycled materials – paper, old calendars etc.
- Reuse last years wrapping paper
- Buy recycled wrapping paper
- Recycle Christmas cards (visit: www.plantetark.org)
- Wrap gifts in environmental gift packaging materials such as recycled cardboard gift boxes, cellophane (made of paper), natural raffia, brown paper and other natural fibres and materials.
- Remove sticky tape from gift wrap and put paper in the recycle bin
- Avoid plastic ribbons try using string, dried flowers or paper to decorate presents