GREEN GIFT IDEAS
There are many things you can do to be a 'Sustainable Santa', so Council has put together a list of tips for this festive season:
- Shop locally by visiting Shop Lane Cove to search for local products and support small businesses
- Lane Cove is home to speciality stores that focus on using sustainable materials and support Fair Trade producers.
- Choose gifts that support eco living such as drought tolerant garden plants, seedlings,
- Choose products that are free from harmful chemicals and ideally certified organic
- Choose practical gifts that are useful and serve a need (avoid landfill)
- Choose gifts that support ethical and environmental causes
- Give a Lane Cove Gift Card or membership for something your loved one is interested in
- Check out the markets for gifts that support local artists/ community groups
- Give a 'time voucher' such as cook a meal or wash their car.
- Buy toys that are repairable and durable.
- Visit the charity shops/op shops or second-hand markets for old yet inspirational gifts
- Invest in rechargeable batteries and a recharger as it works out cheaper in the long run.
- Donate time or money to an ethical cause on behalf of your friend
- Give unwanted gifts to your friends or charity
- Avoid PVC (polyvinylchloride), a toxic plastic used in furniture, hand bags, toys and gift packs
- Avoid packaging, minimise what you can!
- Reduce waste by choosing products in reusable packaging or recycled packaging (make sure plastics are recyclable - check for the triangle symbol and number)
- Take your own reusable bags and say no to every plastic bag offered
- Work from a list to avoid spontaneous purchases you may later regret