In 2003, Council joined Roads and Maritime Services' Local Government Road Safety Program by employing a Road Safety Officer. The primary role of this Officer is to create and implement educational and behavioural change programs to reduce the incidence and severity of road trauma in the Lane Cove LGA.
Transport for NSW (TfNSW) and Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) work in partnership with local councils to fund LGRSP projects targeting road safety issues at a local level.
The objectives of LGRSP are to:
- Adopt the Safe System approach to plan, develop and implement evidence-based projects aimed at improving road user safety in local communities.
- Raise the profile of road safety within local government areas (LGAs).
- Facilitate the involvement of local businesses, government agencies and community groups/ clubs in road safety project development.
- Improve the coordination of local government road safety initiatives with regional, state and national road safety initiatives.
- Review and evaluate the effectiveness of community-based road safety projects.
Consultation with internal and council stakeholders in particular through the Local Traffic Committee and relevant external local businesses, government agencies and communities is integral to delivery of effective road safety initiatives.
The target areas are: