LEP Planning Proposal, Partial Road Closure of Lithgow Street, Draft DCP and Draft VPA
Consultation is now closed.
Consultation ran from Thursday, 29 September to Thursday, 10 November 2016.
Christopher Pelcz – Acting Manager Strategic Planning
Ph: (02) 9911 3627
Council has received a proposal from JBA on behalf of
Northern Terrace 88 Pty Ltd for the St Leonards Plaza Precinct (the site) which
comprises a number of properties in St Leonards, bounded by Christie Lane to
the north, Christie Street to the east, Lithgow Street to the west and
commercial development to the south.
The Proposal is for a monetary contribution which will be used to contribute to the delivery of the future St Leonards Plaza and associated works including a new public library, public car park and supermarket space in return for rezoning, an increase in building height and the inclusion of a site specific incentives clause that enables additional floor space ratio across the site.
On 20 April 2015 Council approved the Planning Proposal for submission to the NSW Department of Planning & Environment seeking Gateway approval for public exhibition. The Planning Proposal was approved by the Department of Planning & Environment on 21 October 2015 for exhibition.
Subsequently, at its meeting of Monday 21 March 2016, it was resolved in part that Council:-
- Give notice of its intention to enter into a Voluntary Planning Agreement (VPA) as outlined in the report with the developer of the subject site and consult the community regarding the proposal. Following the community consultation period, a further report will be submitted to Council for determination;
- Approve a Draft DCP, which provides detailed development controls for the site, for public exhibition; and
- Obtain an independent review of the DCP to be undertaken during exhibition period.
In accordance with the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979 & Regulation 2000 and Local Government Act 1993, Council is currently consulting with the community to obtain feedback on three (3) draft plans for the site:-
- A LEP Planning Proposal which seeks to amend the LEP planning controls for 75-79 Lithgow St / 84-90 Christie St, St Leonards as follows:
- Rezone the site from B3 Commercial Core to B4 Mixed Use;
- Increase the building height to a maximum of RL 224 metres;
- Permit a total floor space ratio (FSR) of 17.6:1, using a bonus FSR mechanism, in return for public benefits. Allowing:-
- An additional FSR of 2:1 for providing a supermarket with public parking, and
- An additional FSR of up to 1.6:1 for site amalgamation of shops at 546-564 Pacific Highway, adjacent to the site, for a new commercial building.
It is noted that:
- A partial road closure of Lithgow Street required in order to facilitate the St Leonards Plaza, is also proposed as part of these LEP amendments.
- The proposed built form controls are to ensure relative consistency with other mixed use developments in the vicinity.
- Ministerial delegation has not been issued to Council for this proposal.
- A Draft Development Control Plan to provide detailed development controls specifically in relation to the façade articulation facing the Rail Plaza, setbacks relating to Christie Lane, other roads and the inner courtyard, retail activation on surrounding streets, promoting pedestrian links through the site and towards Christie Street South Park, appropriate building separation for amenity, floor space ratio and height incentives relating to public benefits in the form of contributions to the public Rail Plaza, a supermarket, a public car park and a fully commercial redevelopment on the Highway, façade articulation and public domain improvements for Christie Lane. The DCP would be supplemented by generic provisions under DCP 2010 and SEPP 65's residential guidelines.
Additional information on all of the above items can be found in the background documents section below.
A further report addressing any submissions received during the consultation period will be prepared for consideration by Council at an upcoming Council meeting.