Consultation in now closed
Ran from Monday 13 May 2013 to 5pm Friday 21 June 2013
Manager – Open Space
Ph: (02) 9911 3566
The Coastal Zone Management Plan (CZMP) was prepared by consultants, BMT WBM Pty Ltd, on behalf of Lane Cove, Hunters Hill, Ryde and Willoughby Councils. The Plan covers the section of the Lane Cove River estuary between the weir at Lane Cove National Park and the mouth of the river at Greenwich Point.
This estuary is a highly valued asset to our community as it preserves remnant bushland which is of significant ecological value and also provides for a variety of recreational pursuits. The plans set out a range of actions and aims to achieve catchment management targets across the entire spectrum of biodiversity, water, land and community issue.
Objectives of the plan include:-
- Water Quality - To optimise water quality within the Lane Cove River estuary and its tributaries.
- Climate Change - To plan for and adapt to the potential impacts of climate change on the natural and built environments of the estuary.
- Aquatic and Riparian Habitat - To protect, enhance and restore aquatic habitats and foreshore vegetation.
- Foreshore Protection - To manage existing built foreshore assets while maximising environmental values and minimise negative impacts of development on the catchment and waterway health.
- Estuary Health Monitoring and Evaluation - To develop and support coordinated monitoring, reporting and evaluation programs for the Lane Cove River estuary.
A further report which addressed the feedback received during the consultation period was submitted to Council in August. The Amended Plan presented to Council at the August meeting was deferred and discussed in greater detail at a Councillor Workshop. The matter was reconsidered at the Ordinary Council Meeting of 21 October 2013 where Council resolved to adopt the plan.