Font Size 

Self Disposal of Problem Wastes


Some items are not accepted in Council's kerbside collection services because they require special treatment. The​ best way to dispose of these problem wastes and chemicals is a Chemical CleanOut, Community Recycling Centre or your local transfer station.

These types of waste may include:

  • Paints
  • E waste (eg. computers, TVs, electrical equipment and small electrical appliances)
  • Motor and other oils
  • Gas bottles and fire extinguishes
  • Fluoro globes and tubes
  • Household and car batteries
  • Smoke detectors

Where can I dispose of these types of waste?

NSW householders can now safely dispose of household problem wastes, free of charge, via two convenient collection systems, the Household Chemical CleanOut and Community Recycling Centres.

Household Chemical CleanOut is a collection service for the safe disposal of a range of household chemical products, including household cleaners, pool and hobby chemicals and pesticides.

CleanOut events are held at various locations in NSW on specified dates throughout the year.

Community Recycling Centres are permanent drop-off facilities, open year round, for the safe disposal of selected common household problem wastes such as paint, gas bottles, fire extinguishers, motor and cooking oils, car and household batteries, fluorescent tubes and globes, and smoke detectors. Many of the materials collected can be recycled if they undergo special treatment and processing. Community Recycling Centres are currently being established across NSW.

Lane Cove's local Free Community Recycling Centre can be found at:

The new CRC is located at 8 Waltham Road, Artarmon (View Google Map)

Opening hours:

Monday, Tuesday and Friday, 8am – 2pm    

Saturday and Sunday, 8am – 4pm

Artarmon and Ryde Transfer Stations accept small amounts of other waste material unable to be recycled through these avenues or placed out for collection in Council's waste and recycling services.

Building Materials

Building materials and tyres (5 tyres per visit) can be accepted in small quantities at Ryde Transfer Station.
Asbestos requires a special booking and is accepted only at the landfill sites at Eastern Creek and Lucas Heights. Call 1300 651 116.