Latest News 2019
St Leonards and Crows Nest – Draft Planning Package
The NSW Department of Planning and Environment released the draft plans and supporting documents for the St Leonards Planned Precinct – entitled 'St Leonards and Crows Nest 2036' along with Draft Rezoning Plans for the Proposed Crows Nest Metro site (in North Sydney).
The consultation ran from October 2018 to 8 February 2019 and all material is available on NSW Department of Planning and Environment website - St Leonards and Crows Nest – Draft Planning Package. The Plan recommended that Council's Planning Proposal for St Leonards South be referred to the Independent Planning Commission (IPC) for advice and further consultation – this was done in November 2018.
The IPC are holding a public meeting at 9:00am on the 20 May 2019 at the Crows Nest Centre (Johnson Hall), Level 2, 2 Ernest Place Crows Nest. For more details including how to register to speak please go to the Independent Planning Commissions website.
Council made a presentation to the IPC on Thursday 23 May 2019 at the request of th Commision.
Council resolved to undertake a master planning process for the precinct in St Leonards bounded by the Pacific Highway to the north, the railway line to the east, River Road to the south and Greenwich Road to the west. Council officers developed a Brief for the St Leonards Strategy, to be undertaken in two parts:
- Stage 1 Precinct Report; and
- Stage 2 Growth Scenarios Report.
Stage 1 (2012 – 2014)
Consultants David Lock and Associates (DLA) were engaged to complete Stage 1 of the St Leonards Strategy. The Precinct Report includes:-
- Consideration of the current State, metropolitan and local strategic planning context;
- A summary of existing conditions such as land use, demographic profile, urban structure and built form, public domain and natural features, vehicular and pedestrian access and movement, and physical infrastructure;
- A summary of the community consultation undertaken as part of Stage 1; and
- An analysis of issues and opportunities for the precinct, including that the area "is well located for potential urban consolidation opportunities".
Community consultation was also undertaken as part of this process which included the establishment of a website and a Community Consultation report on Stage 1.
Stage 2 (2014 – 2015)
In response to technical and community feedback received through a series of community sessions and workshops, a Draft Master Plan and supporting documents were prepared by urban planning consultants and endorsed by Council on 8 December 2014 for public exhibition.
The Draft Plan discussed potential changes to the zoning and scale of areas in the precinct as well as the provision of community facilities, open space and other matters. It also discussed:-
- Density Potential
- Financial Viability
- Sustainable Urban Design & Amenity
- Staging and Transition Management
These plans were publicly exhibited from December 2014 to May 2015 and Council held numerous information days, workshops, and drop-in sessions.
Details of Stage 2 (including Master Plan, community presentations and Council reports) are available on Council's website in the 'Have Your Say' section entitled St Leonards South Draft Master Plan.
Stage 3 (2015 – now)
On 13 July 2015 Council resolved to adopt the Draft St Leonards South Master Plan with the addition of the area up to Park Road east side, subject to the B3 Commercial Core zone west of Canberra Avenue remaining as currently zoned (see map below).
The next phase of the planning process identified the exact location of public parks, community facilities, east-west links and roads– all to promote a liveable residential precinct. This involved translating the Master Plan into:
- a draft Local Environment Plan (LEP) containing various legal mechanisms (zones; building heights; FSR; etc);
- a draft Development Control Plan (setbacks; open space; transitions; parking; etc);
- a draft Development Contributions Plan (which will include a suitable provision for Key Worker Housing;); and
- a draft Landscape Master Plan (to be incorporated into the DCP).
A Progress Report was presented to the 15 February 2016 Council meeting updating the status of the Draft LEP amendments and other documents.
Draft LEP Amendment No.25.
The Draft LEP amendments were submitted to NSW Department of Planning and Environment in February and May 2016. The Draft LEP amendments (Planning Proposal) was granted a conditional Gateway Determination in September 2016. Community Information Sessions were held in November 2016 to provide this update to owners and residents in the St Leonards South area – this was reported to the November 2016 Council meeting along with the presentation.
Council formally responded to the Gateway conditions in September 2017 and the other supporting documents were reported to the October 2017 Council meeting and endorsed for public exhibition.
Draft LEP Amendments
The proposed LEP amendments for the St Leonards South Residential Precinct (bounded by Canberra Avenue, Marshall Avenue, Park Road and River Road) seek to:-
- Increase the residential density of much of the site from R2 Low Density Residential to R4 High Density Residential
- Increase the building height limits for the area from 9.5 metres to the various building heights
- To amend the maximum permissible floor space ratio (FSR) for the area from 0.5/ 0.6:1 to various floor space ratios
- Support the provision of public open space throughout the precinct commensurate with the planned intensity of development in St Leonards South
- Support the provision of Community facilities throughout the precinct commensurate with the planned intensity of development in St Leonards South
- Ensure landscape design within both the public and private domain is of a uniformly high standard
- Support ease of pedestrian/ cycle circulation throughout the precinct
- To support the provision of efficient traffic routes in St Leonards South
Consultation on the draft LEP amendments and other supporting studies ran from 30 October 2017 to 5 January 2018. Details of this consultation are available on Council's website in the 'Have Your Say' section entitled St Leonards South Residential Precinct Draft Plans. A copy of the submissions received during this consultation period is available.
The exhibition material included:-
- A Planning Proposal which seeks to amend LEP 2009 to implement new site-specific planning controls (including zoning, building heights, floor space ratios, lot sizes and land reservation acquisition) which will control development in the St Leonards South Precinct. Ministerial delegation has not been issued to Council for this proposal.
- A Draft Development Control Plan that details development controls for the precinct.
- A Draft Landscape Master Plan that details designs for public and private domain areas and the overall streetscape.
- A Draft Section 94 Contributions Plan that provides a means for funding local infrastructure required as a result of the new development.
Other information and supporting documents, including Supplementary Design Report; Heritage Study; Cumulative Transport and Accessibility Study; Cumulative Traffic Study; St Leonards South Master Plan – December 2014; Independent Economic Review; HillPDA advice on Affordable Housing; S94 Open Space Contribution; and Community Facilities uplift.
Community Drop In Sessions were held throughout November and December 2017. Both these sessions involved the display of information panels outlining the scheme and staff were on hand to answer any questions.
To view all the exhibition material in full please see the Related Documents below.
Other Supporting documents
Proposed LEP maps
- Council Report – St Leonards South Master Plan - 13 July 2015
- Council Resolution – St Leonards South Master Plan - 13 July 2015
- Council Report – St Leonards South – Draft Development Control Plan, Draft Landscape Master Plan and Draft Section 94 Plan – 23 October 2017
- Council Resolution - St Leonards South – Draft Development Control Plan, Draft Landscape Master Plan and Draft Section 94 Plan – 23 October 2017
What happened next?
At its meeting held on the 19 March 2018, Council resolved to write to Minister Anthony Roberts MP to request:-
- An extension of time for Council to complete the St Leonards South Planning Proposal to allow for the public release and consideration of the St Leonards / Crows Nest Planned Precinct Draft Land Use Infrastructure and Implementation Plan; and
- Confirmation that if the Planning Proposal proceeds and given the recent rezonings in St Leonards east of the railway line, these rezonings satisfy Council's housing supply targets to 2026.
This was to allow the community and Councillors to understand and consider the Government's plans for the Precinct, particularly in relation to the provision of infrastructure, prior to further considering the Planning Proposal. Once this was released, two (2) additional community consultation sessions were to be organised to outline the plan to the community. A 12 month extension was subsequently granted.
Greater Sydney Commission
Council also sought clarity and a commitment that if the St Leonards South Planning Proposal proceeds and given the recent rezonings in St Leonards east of the railway line, these rezonings will satisfy Council's housing supply targets to 2026. Council has received correspondence from the Greater Sydney Commission which acknowledges, in two key sentences:-
"Based on Council's estimates of capacity created via planning strategies currently being considered and Council's 2009 LEP, the LGA has the potential to exceed a 6-10 year (2021-2026 target)......."
"In this regard we recognise that the additional capacity you are creating now through your local planning will be counted towards your achievement of a 10 year target."
Based on the letter and discussions with the Greater Sydney Commission, to bring this into effect Council can develop a 10 year Housing Strategy (as all councils are required to do once the target is known), based on the St Leonards East and South precincts only.