What is Bushcare?
Join over 270 local residents currently supporting Bushcare and the Community Nursery in Lane Cove! You can partner with Council to actively care for, and restore, our bushland reserves.
Interested? Contact the Bushcare Co-ordinator on 9911 3579 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also Register for Bushcare – simply return these forms to the Bushcare Co-ordinator via email or post to PO Box 20, Lane Cove, NSW, 1595.
Most groups meet for 3 hours each month, on a set day of the week. A Council supervisor provides training for all skills levels. No previous experience necessary, just enthusiasm! Bring a hat, water and wear suitable clothing and sturdy shoes.
Starting Sunday 27 May
From: 9am - 12pm
Meet: in the Aquatic Park carpark, off Mary St (above the North Shore Rowing Club), Longueville.
Corporate volunteer groups are also welcome.
Subscribe to the Golden Whistler, our Bushcare Newsletter, available as an electronic or hard copy.
Council provides Bushcarers with:
- Information Pack
- On-site guidance and training in bush regeneration and plant propagation
- tools and gloves
- training workshops
- annual Bushcare Volunteer recognition event to acknowledge your achievements of the volunteers
- a quarterly newsletter "The Golden Whistler"
Other great reasons to join Bushcare:
- Make friends with like-minded people
- Enjoy a cuppa and chat at Bushcare, refreshments are provided at each session
- Relax in the great outdoors
Boost your health!
- Spending time in nature reduces your blood pressure and the stress-related hormone cortisol, as recent scientific studies show.
- Improve your mood, increase your energy levels and even boost your immune system!
Explore and Protect your Bushland
- Help our wildlife – Bushcarers have seen Powerful Owls, Echidnas and Lyrebirds, returning to Lane Cove reserves after a long absence
- Explore the bush near your home, watch birds, discover native wildflowers!
- Plant trees, uncover native seedlings and watch them grow
Develop new skills and knowledge
- Learn to identify weeds, native plants, trees and grasses
- Practise effective weeding techniques for different types of plants – useful for your garden too!
- Understand the threats to bushland and wildlife
- Learn and apply bush regeneration principles; this helps you understand and contribute to your Bushcare site work plan.
Become part of an important group who have helped protect Lane Cove's bushland since the late 1960's. You can transform the bush near you!
Find out more about upcoming environmental walks, talks and other fun activities!
For more information and to join Bushcare, simply contact the Bushcare Coordinator on 9911 3579 or via email: email@example.com
Read past copies of "The Golden Whistler" below: