Our new HarbourCare program is looking for volunteers in Lane Cove. This program focuses on the collection of loose rubbish before it is forever lost to the ocean, with devastating impact on our marine animals and sea birds.
What if I already collect rubbish?
Brilliant! We know that there are many local residents already collecting rubbish on their own. Joining HarbourCare helps to bring everyone together, encourages others to get involved and it recognises the valuable work you are doing.
How can I help?
Sign up to HarbourCare and volunteer to collect litter at a park, creek or foreshore near you. You can do this on your morning walk, or join an organised event such as a kayak trip to collect from the Lane Cove River.
How often do I have to volunteer?
As often as you like… every day, once a week, once a month, or whenever you get the chance really.
How does HarbourCare work?
The HarbourCare program supports individuals or groups who collect rubbish from public lands, before it is lost into the ocean.
- Sign up to HarbourCare and nominate the bushland reserve or park you'd like to collect litter from
- Attend a brief induction session on-site with Council staff where we'll provide you with the equipment you'll need including gloves and bags
- Collect rubbish often as you'd like, on any day of the week, and collect any litter you see – you can go on your own, on a kayak paddle or connect with other volunteers in your area
- Record the amount and types of litter you collect on the Litter Collection Data Sheet and provide this information back to us by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dispose and recycle the litter; large amounts can be organised to be collected by Council
What will Council use the data for?
The information you collect will help Council better understand the types of waste entering the waterways and river, help improve waste services if needed and develop targeted educational campaigns to reduce the reliance on single-use plastics.
This month's Litter Focus
September's HarbourCare litter focus is Council's Recycling Station
Where: Lane Cove Council's Civic Centre in foyer
48 Longueville Rd, Lane Cove
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm
What can be recycled here:
- Mobile phones and chargers
- Light Globes
- Oral Care Products
- Coffee Capsules
- Mail Satchels
- Printer cartridges
HarbourCare Land Cleanup
Help us collect litter along the banks of the Lane Cove River
and the surrounding areas of Blackman Park.
Cleanups are a great way to bring the community together, raise
awareness, and start the conversation about reducing litter at the source.
The event will commence at Blackman Park where participants will
walk throughout the park and along the river foreshore collecting litter.
Bring the whole family to this community clean up. All ages are
Bags, gloves, litter pickers and light refreshments are
Every participant receives a FREE native plant and reusable
When: Tuesday 10 September, 10:00am - 12:00pm
Where: Blackman Park, Lloyd Rees Drive, Lane Cove West. Meet in
carpark, western end by dog park.
Bookings essential: https://landcleanup.eventbrite.com
HarbourCare Kayak Cleanup
The next kayak trip will be in November. Information and bookings will be open a month prior to each event.
Want to find out more?
For more information about becoming a HarbourCare volunteer, contact Council's Bush Friends Officer on 9911 3647 or email email@example.com