# of Clean-ups
# of Kgs collected
# of Participants
Average amount month
Our scheduled HarbourCare events will not be taking place due to Covid-19 restrictions.
HarbourCare volunteers: Remember to keep yourself and others safe by following current Government advice on social distancing, self-isolation and #stayhome. More information on local changes due to COVID-19 is available here.
Stay safe and we look forward to bringing you more kayaking and other events soon.
Our new HarbourCare program is looking for volunteers in Lane Cove.
HarbourCare is addressing the marine debris problem and associated waterway issues. This program focuses on collecting litter data whilst cleaning up our waterways and natural areas before loose rubbish is forever lost to the ocean with devastating impact on our marine animals and sea birds.
What if I already collect rubbish?
Brilliant! We know that there are many local residents already collecting rubbish on their own. Joining HarbourCare helps to bring everyone together, encourages others to get involved and it recognises the valuable work you are doing.
How can I help?
Sign up to HarbourCare and volunteer to collect litter at a park, creek or foreshore near you. You can do this on your morning walk, or join an organised event such as a kayak trip to collect from the Lane Cove River.
How often do I have to volunteer?
As often as you like… every day, once a week, once a month, or whenever you get the chance really.
How does HarbourCare work?
The HarbourCare program supports individuals or groups who collect rubbish from public lands, before it is lost into the ocean.
- Sign up to HarbourCare and nominate the bushland reserve or park you'd like to collect litter from
- Attend a brief induction session on-site with Council staff where we'll provide you with the equipment you'll need including gloves and bags
- Collect rubbish often as you'd like, on any day of the week, and collect any litter you see – you can go on your own, on a kayak paddle or connect with other volunteers in your area
- Record the amount and types of litter you collect on the Litter Collection Data Sheet and provide this information back to us by email email@example.com
- Dispose and recycle the litter; large amounts can be organised to be collected by Council
What will Council use the data for?
The information you collect will help Council better understand the types of waste entering the waterways and river, help improve waste services if needed and develop targeted educational campaigns to reduce the reliance on single-use plastics.
More events coming soon.
Want to find out more?
For more information about becoming a HarbourCare volunteer, contact Council's Bushland Connections Officer on 9911 3647 or email firstname.lastname@example.org