A major renovation of ovals B3 & B4 commenced in September to improve the long-term usability of the grounds. It will also allow for a full length AFL field and two new full-size cricket wickets that will replace the existing one.
Works completed so far include:
- Spraying of grass and weeds to prepare the surface
- Installation of a security fence to the whole site followed by removal of the old cricket pitch and sockets from the AFL goal posts
- Reprofiling to improve the playing surface
- Construction of two cricket pitches to expand capacity
Works from mid November onwards include:
- Installation of irrigation and drainage to improve playing surface longevity
- Re-levelling of field surface
- Laying of new turf including allowing time for it to establish for sport use in 2019
During this time there is no access to the lower ovals and cricket nets – access to the path and playgrounds will be maintained. The upgrade to the ovals is anticipated to be completed by January 2019.
Following the completion of the upgrade, a new fenced dog park will be constructed to provide additional off-leash exercise space. The fenced area will include water, shade, seating and agility equipment for dogs of all sizes.
Off-leash use of the ovals will remain when sporting activities are not in progress.
The latest information will be available at www.lanecove.nsw.gov.au/blackmanpark.