Disability Inclusion Action Plan (DIAP)
Under the NSW Disability Inclusion Act 2014, councils are required to have a Disability Inclusion Action Plan (DIAP) and to review this DIAP every 4 years.
Disability Inclusion Action Plans are designed to outline practical steps that can be put into place to break down barriers, promote access to services, information and employment, and promote the rights of people with disability.
Council's DIAP aims to make Lane Cove a better place for people living with disability to live, work and visit by developing
- positive community attitudes and behaviours
- creating liveable communities
- supporting access to meaningful employment
- improving access to services through better systems and processes
Lane Cove Concil is working with Hunter's Hill Council and have engaged JC Harwood Consulting to develop an updated DIAP 2022-2026 with localised actions. Following a community consultation, the draft DIAP is now on public exhibition until 28 November 2022 for feedback: Draft Diasability Inclusion Action Plan 2022 - 2026
The current Disability Inclusion Action Plan was adopted by Council on 23 October 2017. The Plan can also be viewed as a Flip Book or as a PDF, links are in the right hand column of this page.
The Disability Council is the official advisory body to the NSW Government and its role is to
- advise public authorities about the content and implementation of disability inclusion action plans
- advise the Minister about the content and implementation of the State Disability Inclusion Plan and disability inclusion action plans.
Access and Inclusion Committee
The Access and Inclusion Advisory Committee meets quarterly. Its objective is to assist Council to increase and promote general awareness of access and inclusion for all people in the community.
The Committee has the following functions
- To oversee the implementation of the Disability Inclusion Action Plan.
- To identify ways and opportunities to educate our community and raise awareness on access and inclusion issues
- To encourage and promote a "whole of Council" approach to access and inclusion planning
The Lane Cove Council's Community Directory
provides a comprehensive list of organisations that provide services and resources to people with disability and carers in the Lane Cove and surrounding areas.