Look out before you step out
"Look out before you step out" is part of a state-wide pedestrian safety campaign. Taking risks and not being mindful on the roads can end in tragedy. It's important to have your head in the moment, and make safe decisions.
Council have identified high pedestrian areas throughout Lane Cove and have installed a number of vinyl and thermoplastic stencils (as per image below).
If you have a suggested location for a thermoplastic stencil or wish to report a damaged stencil, please contact Council's Road Safety Officer on (02) 9911 3576.
Safety tips for pedestrians
- Avoid using mobile phones
- Cross at marked crossings or traffic lights
- If you have to walk or run on the road, do so in the direction of oncoming traffic so you are more visible
- At traffic lights cross only when the pedestrian signal is green. Do not start to cross when the red light flashes
- Before you cross a road, think about whether a driver can see you
- Make eye contact with the driver before stepping out onto a crossing
- Never assume a vehicle will stop for you
- Avoid crossing between parked cars or in front of buses
- Children eight years and under should hold an adult's hand at all times
- Children ten years and under should hold an adult's hand when crossing the road
- Wear bright or light-coloured clothing at night or in reduced visibility conditions