Font Size 

Step 1: Is Proposal Permissible?


When proposing to do work or change the use of a building it is essential that you check the zoning of the land. The zoning (i.e. residential, commercial, industrial etc.) guides what type of development may be permitted on your property. You can view what zone applies to the property by referring to the available Property Mapping on the NSW Planning Portal Spatial Viewer.

Once you have determined what zone applies to your property you must determine whether your proposal is permitted in the zone. Determining permissibility will require a review of the Exempt and Complying Development requirements and Lane Cove Local Environmental Plan 2009.

Section 10.7 Planning Certificate

You may also want to purchase a Section 10.7 Planning Certificate from Council. A Section 10.7 Planning Certificate provides details of the zoning of the property and the controls relating to it. It also indicates special policies that apply to the property regarding issues such as flooding or bushfires. This certificate is usually attached to the contract for the sale of a property.

While a Section 10.7 Planning Certificate states all the relevant planning instruments that apply to the property, it does not give detail about development controls/standards or terms in those planning instruments. If building works are being proposed, it will be necessary to research thoroughly all of the terms of the planning instruments which apply to the land. A Section 10.7 Application can be made online by visiting Conveyancing Certificates.

Go to Step 2: Is DA Required?