Font Size 

Step 2: Is DA Required?


Now you know your zone, it’s time to work out what approvals are necessary. Generally speaking, all building and demolition work requires an approval from Council. Development can be divided into three main categories: exempt, complying and all other development.

1. Exempt Development

A range of minor renovations and low-impact works may be considered exempt development. You do not need Council approval to undertake exempt development. For more information see Exempt and Complying Development.

2. Complying Development

If a proposed development is straightforward and fully meets specific development standards it may be classified as 'complying development'. Complying development is a fast-track approval process and a Complying Development Certificate is required to undertake these works. For more information see Exempt and Complying Development.

3. All Other Development

If a development is not exempt or complying, a Development Application (DA) is required. A DA is an application made to Council seeking consent to;

  • construct
  • subdivide
  • change the use of a property or premises
  • demolish a building
  • display advertising
  • undertake earthworks; or
  • make alterations or additions to a building.

Council will assess the impact of your proposed development on the local area. If your application is successful, Council will give development consent, usually subject to conditions. For further information on the development assessment process go to what is involved in the assessment process page.

Go to Step 3: Check Controls.