Font Size 

Construction Certificates


After a development application is approved, a Construction Certificate is needed before building work actually begins.

A Construction Certificate is an approval that:

  • Ensures the detailed construction plans and specifications comply with the requirements of the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and any relevant Australian Standard.
  • Certifies that the detailed construction plans and specifications are not inconsistent with the development consent.
  • Certifies that the relevant development consent conditions have been complied with.
  • Certifies that all required contributions and fees have been paid.

How can I obtain a Construction Certification from Council?

A Construction Certificate Application can be lodged with Council. From 1 July 2020 all Construction Certificate applications are required to be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal accompanied by a completed Construction Certificate Checklist. The Construction Certificate Checklist is available in Development Forms. A fee quote can be obtained prior to lodgement by contacting Council's Customer Service Centre on 9911 3555.

Benefits of lodging a Construction Certificate with Council?

A discount of 15% on the cost of the Construction Certificate is available from Lane Cove Council when a Development Application and Construction Certificate are lodged together. Please note that the discount does not apply to some aspects of the Construction Certificate (e.g. Council's inspection, the Occupation Certificate).

A Construction Certificate can also be obtained from a Private Accredited Certifier. If the Construction Certificate is issued by a Private Accredited Certifier, you must register with Council a copy of the certificate and all associated plans and specifications (a registration fee applies). This must be done within two (2) working days after the approval date of the Construction Certificate.

What is a Notice of Commencement?

Following the issue of a Construction Certificate a Notice of Commencement is required to be provided to Council at least two days prior to the commencement of any works.

This formal advice to Council provides details of:

  • The appointed Principal Certifying Authority (PCA), whether that is Council or a Private Accredited Certifier.
  • The date of commencement of building works.
  • The name of the builder

What is a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA)?

Once you have development consent and a valid Construction Certificate, you need to appoint a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) before starting work

A PCA can either be Council or a Private Accredited Certifier. If Council is not the PCA, you must notify Council who has been appointed PCA at least two days before building work starts.

What is the role of the PCA?

The role of the PCA is to:

  • Administer the conditions of consent and progress of the development from commencement to completion.
  • Conduct an inspection at each required stage of construction.
  • Promptly advise the applicant, after any relevant inspection, of any outstanding work.
  • Receive and investigate any complaints from the public concerning the development.
  • Issue an Occupation Certificate (for any building work) when all the pre-conditions in the development consent have been met and the building is suitable for occupation in accordance with its classification under the Building Code of Australia.

The payment of the PCA inspection fee covers mandatory inspections, however it does not cover any re-inspections.

What is an Occupation Certificate?

An Occupation Certificate is issued to allow safe and healthy occupation of completed building works. An Occupation Certificate certifies that all works have been completed in accordance with the development consent conditions, approved plans and the Building Code of Australia. It is illegal to occupy or use a building or structure without an Occupation Certificate.