# of Clean-ups: 243
# of Kgs collected: 3,938.3
# of Participants: 871
Council's HarbourCare program is looking for volunteers in Lane Cove.
HarbourCare is addressing the marine debris problem and associated waterway issues. This program focuses on collecting litter data whilst cleaning up our waterways and natural areas before loose rubbish is forever lost to the ocean with devastating impact on our marine animals and sea birds.
What if I already collect rubbish?
Brilliant! We know that there are many local residents already collecting rubbish on their own. Joining HarbourCare helps to bring everyone together, encourages others to get involved and it recognises the valuable work you are doing.
How can I help?
Sign up to HarbourCare and volunteer to collect litter at a park, creek or foreshore near you. You can do this on your morning walk, or join an organised event such as a kayak trip to collect from the Lane Cove River. If you are part of a Community group that is interested in co-hosting a Harbourcare event, please get in touch!
How often do I have to volunteer?
As often as you like… every day, once a week, once a month, or whenever you get the chance really.
How does HarbourCare work?
The HarbourCare program supports individuals or groups who collect rubbish from public lands, before it is lost into the ocean.
- Sign up to HarbourCare and nominate the bushland reserve or park you'd like to collect litter from
- Attend a brief induction session on-site with Council staff where we'll provide you with the equipment you'll need including gloves and bags
- Collect rubbish often as you'd like, on any day of the week, and collect any litter you see – you can go on your own, on a kayak paddle or connect with other volunteers in your area
- Record the amount and types of litter you collect on the Litter Collection Data Sheet and provide this information back to us by email email@example.com
- Dispose and recycle the litter; large amounts can be organised to be collected by Council
What will Council use the data for?
The information you collect will help Council better understand the types of waste entering the waterways and river, help improve waste services if needed and develop targeted educational campaigns to reduce the reliance on single-use plastics.
Harbourcare x Clean Up Australia Day
Sunday 5 March, 10:00am - 12:00pm
Lane Cove West
Bookings essential: Book online
Did you know that over 20 million Aussies have spent 38.5 million hours helping protect our environment on Clean Up Australia Day over the years!? Get involved with Lane Cove Council’s popular HarbourCare program whilst contributing to the huge country-wide efforts of Clean Up Australia Day this March.
This land-based event will see us clean up well-loved parks and bushland, all while enjoying a beautiful bushwalk. Clean-ups are a great way to bring the community together, raise awareness, and start the conversation about reducing litter at the source.
Want to find out more?
For more information about becoming a HarbourCare volunteer, contact Council's Bushland Connections Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org