The aim of this plan is to meet the community’s right to know about pesticide applications made to outdoor public places that are controlled by Lane Cove Council, in accordance the Pesticides Regulations 2017 and Lane Cove Council Pesticide Notification Plan adopted 2019. The plan allows members of the community to take action to avoid contact with pesticides, if they wish.
The plan sets out how the Council will notify the community of pesticide applications it makes to public places. The plan describes:
- what public places are covered by the plan
- who regularly uses these public places and an estimate of the level of use
- how and when Council will provide the community with information about its pesticide
- applications in public places (i.e. what notification arrangements will be used)
- how the community can access this plan and get more information about Council’s notification arrangements
- contact details for anyone wanting more information on the plan.
Pesticide Notification Plan
Council is taking advantage of the wet weather by bringing forward targeted insecticide spraying on four local ovals on Wednesday 24 November. This particular spray, Tetrino, requires the insecticide to soak into the ground and by spraying during wet weather, we're removing the need to irrigate the area after spraying. We also hope to reduce the inconvenience of temporary closures by spraying while the ovals are closed to organised sport and there are less people out and about.
Council's contractor will be spraying the insecticide on Wednesday 24 November at Blackman Park, Kingsford Smith Oval, Pottery Green and Tantallon Oval. The insecticide will target Black Beetle and Billbug in the turf, which have both been identified on the ovals and without spraying can cause considerable damage to the roots of the grass.
Notification signs will be placed at the entry points to the ovals just prior to the spray - please keep an eye out, follow on-site signage and do not use the area while spraying is in progress. There is no re-entry period after the spray which means as soon as the contractor has completed spraying, residents can re-enter and continue to use the space.
We thank you for your patience while this spraying is complete and apologise for any inconvenience.