Font Size 

LEP and DCP (Zoning Information)


This section is relevant for any development applications lodged after 19 February 2010.

Local Environmental Plan (LEP)

Council's LEP is a guide for development over the next 25 years in line with the NSW Department of Planning's Metropolitan Strategy for Sydney. The LEP came into force on 19 February 2010.

The LEP consists of a written document and maps (reference map below indicates the four LGA map areas)

L​​ane Cove Council LEP Maps 

All current and up-to-date documents relating to the Lane Cove Local Environmental Plan 2009 can be found on the NSW Legislation website.  

Please click on the links below for the current:

Please note: the LEP maps link takes you through to the Lane Cove LEP map index which lists 32 maps. 

Abbreviations for the following map types are:


floor space ratio maps
LZNland zoning maps
HOBheight of buildings map
LSZlot size map
LRAland reservation acquisition map
HERheritage map
ASSacid sulphate maps
CLIforeshore building line, riparian land map and environmental protection area map.

For example - if you are interested in viewing the Land Zoning Map for the area indicated above as '002' you would need to click on it to look at the map types available.

Rezoning Applications

LEP amendment requests / planning proposals may be considered upon submission of a rezoning application form and should be discussed with the Manager - Strategic Planning. 


Development Control Plan (DCP)

The DCP supports the LEP in providing detailed development controls such as landscaped area, car spaces and building scale. The DCP contains twenty two parts, including attachments, which came into force on 22 February 2010. Each part can be viewed online separately below:-

PART A - Introduction
PART B - General Controls
PART C - Residential Development
PART C - Residential Localities
PART D - Commercial and Mixed Use Development
PART D - Commercial and Mixed Use Localities
PART E - Industrial Development
PART F - Access and Mobility
PART G - Acid Sulphate Soils
PART H - Bushland Protection
PART H - Land Adjoining Bushland Map
PART I - Child Care Centres
PART J - Landscaping
PART K - Motels
PART L - Public Art
PART M - Sex Services Premises
PART N -Signage and Advertising
PART O -Stormwater Management
PART P -Telecommunications Facilities
PART Q -Waste Management and Minimisation
PART R - Traffic, Transport and Parking
Attachment: DA checklist
Attachment: Dictionary
Attachment: Amendments


Exempt and Complying Development

Minor development in NSW often does not require any planning or construction approval. This is called exempt development because it is exempt from planning approval. Exempt development typically covers the minor “do it yourself” renovation work such as replacing the tiles in your bathroom or erecting a pre-fabricated structure such as a garden shed. What is considered to be exempt development is identified in State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

If what you want to build falls outside of what is considered to be exempt development, it may fall into the category of complying development. Complying development is a combined planning and construction approval. Complying development is a fast track, 10-day approval process where a building meets all of the predetermined standards established in either a State or local council planning document. The standards or rules that the building must comply with are numerical, meaning that the design of the building will exactly meet the numbers in the rules. For example, a complying development height might be 8.5m, the proposed building’s height therefore cannot be greater than 8.5m. A complying development certificate can be issued by either Council or an accredited certifier, refer State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

Cost Guide
If you require hard copies of the above listed sections, please refer to Council's Fees and Charges.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have further questions about the LEP and DCP you can refer to the FAQ document.